Monday, February 27, 2012

Gangrene- "Vodka & Ayahuasca"







As a music enthusiast and up and coming DJ, I am constantly on the lookout for new music in all genres, especially hip hop. So it's no secret that I sit on music blog sites such as UGHH.com and look for new mixtapes or albums to purchase. Recently their list of new releases and recommended Cd's have peaked my interest, more specifically the new Alchemist and Oh No album as the duo, Gangrene. After reading many reviews on "Vodka & Ayahuasca" that were both positive and negative in different aspects, and YouTube-ing a few of the tracks just to get a small taste of what will be sitting at my doorstep in just a few days, I decided to make this easy buy a reality. Now here is my own personal review of this album.....


"Vodka & Ayahuasca" has 14 tracks, if you include both the Intro and the Outro, but the first actual song track is "Gladiator Music." This track is probably my favorite on the entire album mostly because the verses have the smoothest flow out of all of them. This song features Kool Grap, someone I am not personally familiar with but he does do a decent job going in on this one. The next few songs don't grab me lyrically but the beats are pretty consistent and have the kind of grimy, psychedelic vibe that I expected from the album art. 


Track 6 is the blockbuster song that the album is based around essentially. Titled "Vodka & Ayahuasca," these lyrics are strictly about vodka, pills, and trippin the fuck out. Truly giving you that feel that the album art provides. However, the flow is still weak and as much as I do like these beats, Alchemist and Oh No are capable of much better. The rest of the tracks are mediocre, again just lacking solid flow and any type of direction in each song. "Top Instructors" is kind of a hot song but after that it falls right off with "Livers for Sale." This one is my least favorite on the album; it just makes me think they are trying too hard to be gritty and nasty, so they talk about stealing people's livers and selling them....? Yeah, epic fail on their part, didn't capture me in any dark way. 






Do not get me wrong, by no means do I not want to listen to this, it's good to throw on while you're pouring a drink and just chillin out. Maybe even trippin the fuck out, I don't know what some of you cats do out there but it could be a solid listen for that as well. Like I said, I don't dislike it at all, but I guess I just expected more from these two, since I have been a huge fan of The Alchemist in the past and Oh No has seriously overwhelmed me in a killer way that inspires me to use his shit in upcoming mixes. All in all, go out and have a listen to this, you may love it, you may hate it, or you may just feel sort of indifferent. I mean shit, this album is $11.97.....just buy it and form you're own opinion.


Decon Records puts out some great music consistently. They have artists signed to them such as Pusha T, Freddie Gibbs, Ninjasonik, Chali 2na, Jay Electronica, Jurassic 5 and 88 Keys. So absolutely check them out at deconrecords.com and pick up that new music, they do not disappoint.






Also be sure to jump over to UGHH.com for all the newest and dopest hip hop as well as fresh gear from top clothing companies, DJ accessories and Graffiti supplies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment